Friday, November 6, 2009

Life Chain Report (Jim Stair)

Pro-Life Tribe welcomes Guest Blogger Jim Stair reporting on his participation in a recent Life Chain event in Portland, Oregon. For more about Life Chain, go to http://www.lifechain.net.

Sunday was really interesting. I picked up one of the "Abortion Kills Children" signs from one of the organizers and found a spot down the side-walk to stand. The chain-link fence that was there a year ago when the PP ground breaking was going on was still up, so no one could stand there. Soon there were several others standing in the same vicinity I was. The proprietor of the store that happened to be behind us came out and asked us to move along, because she thought we were blocking her business. I told her that the event was only once a year and that we were only going to be there a couple of hours. Her reply was "a couple of hours is a couple of hours."

Anyway, I decided to move instead of fume, and found a better place to show my sign at a major intersection so traffic going four ways could see the sign rather than just two. That spot really evoked a lot of reactions. One "lady" (I'm  being kind) dressed in a mini-skirt and mesh stockings came by, screeming at the top of her lungs as she walked, "It's my body and my life! It's my body and my life!" until she was clear down a side street. I had been taking some pictures with my cell phone camera, but she startled me so much I never got her picture except in the shadows in the distance. It's proably just as well.

Another woman with a pit bull was arguing vociferously with some pro-lifers across the street from me. I am glad the dog was less offended than she was.

My guess is that there were over a hundred people paricipating in the Life Chain, mostly Catholics from the neighborhood.

2 comments:

  1. Jim,
    Thank you for your post and for your example of standing on the front lines in defense of babies and their moms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie Surface Johnson here. We received the following email regarding the recent Life Chain event in Portland from Bill Diss, Founder of Precious Children of Portland.

    There was a comment that there were many Catholics and that statement is true, but there were also many people from some of the neighborhood Protestant churches. Many came from Life Change Christian Center and from St. Mark's Baptist Church. More and more of the Black Pastors and their congregations are finding out about Planned Parenthood. Planned Parenthood has long and deep roots in the area of population control and many of their prenatal killing centers are in Black neighborhoods. In fact, they have four in the country on streets named MLK. In Tacoma Wa, the Planned Parenthood is on Martin Luther King Way. PP just built a large center in Denver a block from MLK park and a few blocks from MLK Blvd.

    God Bless,
    Bill Diss
    Founder of Precious Children of Portland

    ReplyDelete